USE-IT is tourist info for young people, in almost 40 cities in Europe. We all publish free maps, most of us have a Facebook page, some have a website, or even run an info desk for young travellers. And we're all working hard to get our cities into the smartphone app as soon as possible.
WHAT DO WE STAND FOR?
• USE-IT is made by locals: we don't work with travel journalists but with locals.
• USE-IT is not commercial: nobody pays to be included on the maps.
• USE-IT maps are free. You find them in hostels and tourist infos.
• USE-IT is for young travellers: no 5-star hotels, no fancy dinners.
• USE-IT is up-to-date: new editions are made every year.
• USE-IT is not a trendy guide, it's about the life and soul of the city.
• USE-IT is honest: no publicity, no marketing nonsense.
HOW IS USE-IT ORGANISED?
Every USE-IT is largely independent. Every local initiative gets subsidies to run the project, usually from local authorities. USE-IT Oslo is paid with Norwegian money, USE-IT Milan with Italian money, and so on. However, everybody shares the USE-IT principles and is member of the same European organisation called USE-IT Europe.
WHAT DOES THE NAME MEAN?
The first publications were made in Copenhagen and distributed in an alternative youth centre called 'Huset'. Travellers pronounced it as "use it" and that's probably how the name stuck. Nobody knows for sure, though.
SINCE WHEN DOES USE-IT EXIST?
USE-IT started in 1971 (in hippie times) as a low-budget info desk for young travellers in Copenhagen. A few other initiatives followed later in Norway, the Netherlands and Belgium, always with the same non-commercial philosophy. In 2005, the first USE-IT Map for Young Travellers was made in Ghent (Belgium) and it became very popular very fast. In 2008 the international organisation called 'USE-IT Europe' was founded to help more young people with creating their own city maps.
WHAT DOES USE-IT EUROPE DO?
USE-IT Europe helps newcomers to start up and protects the quality label. Young locals are responsible for their own content and design, but there are some basic communication guidelines to follow before you can become a member. This is why USE-IT Europe signs off on every new publication. Get in touch!
CAN I START A USE-IT?
Yes! See joining the network.